Wednesday, December 15, 2010

'Tis the Season(ing)

If any of you are like me, then you absolutely love to see this time of year come 'round.  Family, food, gifts, joy, happiness, food, fun, food and food make the stretch of time between Thanksgiving and Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah subliiiiiime!  I dream of visiting relatives and eating the variety of smack-ya-mama meats, vegetables, meat-infested vegetables.  I pray each year that my Aunt Betty has made her famous stewed tomatoes, and I carry around a Ziploc bowl with me just in case, because I have to take some home. And I'll get REAL quiet if folks start talking about sharing foods, because Aunt Betty's stewed tomatoes are mines--all MINES.

But with these festive times come a few consequences: bad gas, the Itis, weight gain, increase in blood pressure, sugar gone crazy.

So I just want to encourage US (me included) to continue to be mindful of your health.  If you do not have a regular exercise routine scheduled into your life, please do yourself a favor.  As artists we have to maintain a strong and healthy body, mind and soul.  I know the temptation to regress into old habits is strong. I battle with it constantly. 

Resist the temptations!  FIGHT!  If you're a waiting for the new year to join a gym, don't put it off.  Resolve to do it ASAP, if you have the means.  If not, start something at home.  It costs nothing to do some sit-ups or jumping jacks, unless you live in your Mama's basement.  Then make sure you don't knock over her good china.

I know there are members of this theatre/film community who are much wiser when it comes to health advice than I am.  We have personal trainers right at our finger tips, like Dionne Audain (or Dionne! as the world knows her).

Enjoy the holidays!  Eat good food.  Have good fun. 

Then carry your Merry a** to the gym.




Peace and blessings!
JJ

1 comment:

  1. JJ thank you for the shout out. You are absolutely right :) a little exercise goes a long way & jumping jacks sit ups et al are easy & free. Folks can reach out to me for training as well. I train from 1-3 people for the same price.
    Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete